Cattle Market Inn

Market Place
Closed 1913

Norfolk Pubs

Cattle Market Inn on right

Cattle Market Inn

The Cattle Market Inn is behind the obelisk, it is now part of the Akaash Tandoori Resturant

The postcard is from the Francis Frith Collection which can be viewed at

Close inspection of the postcard reveals that the Cattle Market Inn was a Bullards house, like many of Dereham's pubs. It seems that Bullards had a virtual monopoly in this area long before the Monoplies and Mergers Commision 1989 report into the brewing industry.

The shop next to the Cattle Market Inn has the signage 'ALCOCK'. According to Kelly's 1908, Mrs Emily Alcock was a saddler at 21, Market Place. This would explain the oval items beneath the shop window, they must be horse collars.

The Cattle Market Inn, 22 Market Place, closed in 1913 (8)

Kelly's 1883 entry - Russell, John, Cattle Market Inn, Market Place

The Obelisk was dismantled after WWII and thrown down a well near the Assembly Rooms (5)

August 2005